Industrial music festival Cold Waves makes its first official lineup announcement for Cold Waves IV, the fourth annual installment of the fest, scheduled for September 25th and 26th at Metro in Chicago, Illinois.
Cold Waves IV promises to be the biggest and best to date. This year's incarnation features a global array of legendary acts, representing three continents, some of whose influence dates back over 30 years.
Confirmed to perform so far: Godflesh, Pop Will Eat Itself, Frontline Assembly, Lustmord, Severed Heads, and Lead Into Gold.
Stand by for the complete festival lineup, to be announced next week.
In the words of Cold Waves founder Jason Novak, also owner of Cracknation Records and member of bands such as Cocksure, Czar, and Acumen Nation: "Celebrating the city's relationship with industrial music, the event focuses on the more experimental and musical aspects of the genre, showcasing rare appearances by original forebears as well as innovative up and comers."
• Led by the prolific Justin Broadrick, the UK's Godflesh are world-renowned pioneers of industrial-metal, still pushing music forward now decades after their formation.
• Also from the UK, Pop Will Eat Itself were early visionaries in the cross-pollination of electronic music and alternative rock. Former frontman Clint Mansell has gone on to compose scores for films such as Requiem for a Dream and Black Swan.
• Canada's Frontline Assembly, helmed by ex-Skinny Puppy member Bill Leeb, weave electronic, industrial, and metallic sounds and are regarded as one of the scene's biggest bands.
• Lustmord is the long-running project of the UK's Brian Williams, the man credited with inventing the "dark ambient" genre; his catalog includes dozens of albums and collaborations with members of Tool, Swans, Coil, The Melvins, and Isis.
• Founded in 1980, Australian avant electronic act Severed Heads made a name by exploring the limits of industrial and synth-pop, touring with Gary Numan and earning comparisons to Throbbing Gristle.
• Chicago's own Lead Into Gold is an original Wax Trax! Records band, featuring Paul Barker of Ministry and Revolting Cocks.
Limited two-day passes for Cold Waves IV go on sale Friday, April 10th at 11 am Eastern, 10 am Central time, via Metro's website: http://metrochicago.com
Cold Waves IV will feature food trucks, vendors, DJs, and a special kick-off party on Thursday, September 24th. The festival is sponsored by Kuma's Corner and Revolution Brewery, two iconic Chicago food and beverage institutions that embody the spirit of the music.
Proceeds from Cold Waves IV will go to Hope for the Day, a Chicago charity that utilizes music and art to battle suicide.